Thursday, March 22, 2012

What kind of Turg are you?

In my dramturgy class our first assignment was to define ourselves as a Dramaturg. It was to figure out how our personality, capabilities, and work ethictis lent to how we did our work as dramaturgs. The assignment we did "Defining Yourself" was like a contract to the director we were working with, telling them what they can expect from us while we work together. This is how I started my journey, this what kind of dramaturg I thought I was.


The Adventurer

     Do you remember Choose Your Own Adventure, it is a series of children's game books where each story is written from a second-person point of view, with the reader assuming the role of the protagonist and making choices that determine the main character's actions and the plot's outcome.  Well that’s my style of dramaturgy. I am what I like to call “The Adventurer”. My focus is solving the social problems, mainly of today’s youth. I want to create open-ended plays that force children to not only pay attention but also make a decision about how the play should end, or what would happen if the characters made different decisions. I help children learn how to make the right decision and to seek out all paths in their own lives.
     As a dramaturge I will work closely with you the director, helping to research whatever topic is placed before us. I will help to find the plays for the season, bringing in new plays and helping to develop plays. I will be working with community finding out what subject matter they are interested in seeing, and I will be working with the PA’s to get out season out there to the people. Finally I will work to get new classes open and advertise to the rightful age group in order to maximize productivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment